Thursday, January 10, 2013

My non-resolutions and a recipe!

Well it’s officially back to the grind time. I had an amazing holiday season and bowl game adventure but it’s nice to be back and settling into a schedule. The complete craziness of the last few months has left me a little exhausted. I’m not sure about you but there is something about getting into an everyday routine and sort of putting life in auto-pilot for a bit that I like. I think that it also makes the trips/adventures more exciting too. I am also looking forward to focusing on some things that are important to me but have taken a back burner to wedding/thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year/ Fiesta Bowl craziness that has been my wonderful life lately. Quick word on the Fiesta Bowl…. It was sooo fun to be there in person- the atmosphere was electric. I’m still not far enough into therapy to discuss the outcome of the game though =(.
 And even though I was secretly cursing my phone because apparently all those people in a small area on their phones = mine doesn’t work/drains the battery and dies… I was glad that I didn’t get some of those sh!t talking texts till after I had a chance to drown my sorrows dry my tears. I haven’t even had the chance to think about New Years resolutions (I Know!!! CRAZY!!) my goal right now is to go back to basics. I’m going to refocus on getting all my debt paid off and Hello student loan!!! I seriously need to focus so I’m not still paying that sucker when I’m 92. I’m sure I’ll need dentures and a new hip by that time so best to clear the way now. I’m also going to refocus on being healthier. As always, this includes losing some weight…and getting healthier / stronger overall. My weight has been a constant struggle for me…pretty much since the first time I got picked on for it in first or second grade- there hasn’t been a day that has gone by where I haven’t thought about it. I’m coming to realize that will probably be with me my entire life and instead of thinking I wish I was skinnier or this or that I’m also grateful that this old sturdy body has held up this long. So no ultimate goal weight for this year or anything like that – just make good decisions regularly that help me feel better about myself and hopefully look a little better too. I guess how I feel right now about resolutions is that its good have goals but I need to get out of the mindset that I have to make resolutions that I probably won’t keep anyways just because it’s a new year. I have in my head a goal…and I plan on checking my progress every month or so to see where I am at and changing my plan if necessary. I’ll let you know how that works out!


In completely unrelated and shocking news…I have a recipe for you…and it’s not from Pinterest!!! This cookie recipe is actually my stepmom’s Grandma Marie’s recipe. The hubster, who unlike me, is not really a cookie monster could not stop raving about how delicious they were. He might secretly be a little pissed we’ve known each other this long and he’s only just now been introduced to these delicious nuggets. I won’t make that mistake again now that I have the recipe!!!

Grandma Marie’s Yum-tastic Cookies (sorry I am not sure of their official name)

1/2 c. butter 1/2 c. brown sugar

1 tsp. salt 1/2 c. white sugar

1 tsp. cream of tartar 1 egg

1 tsp. baking soda 1/2 c. shortening

1 tsp. vanilla 2 c. flour

Cream butter shortening and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Chill. Form into walnut sized balls. Dip half of ball into additional sugar (Jan uses festive colored sugar for this step). Flatten slightly and bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for about 8 minutes. Enjoy!!

Well that’s all for today!
Laters tators!!
p.s. sorry about the lack of fun pics - i was having trouble downloading them... no purple Elvis for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment